This morning, March 19, 2013, Pope Frances I was officially installed during a mass at St. Peter’s Square. The pontificate is the seat of Peter the Apostle, the first pope and founder of the Church.
Tu es Petrus is a traditional choral anthem that commemorates that moment when Christ named Peter the rock of the church. It comes from Matthew 16:
13. When Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?”
14. They replied, “Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15. He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
16. Simon Peter said in reply, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
17. Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father.
18. And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
19. I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”
Giovanni Palestrina’s Tu es Petrus: